View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
DOS MYM on Windows 7 32-bit 

Post Re: DOS MYM on Windows 7 32-bit
dpdapper:

I can't help you with full screen, since I never use it--I thought it took up too much space.

But you can almost get there within MYM. In the upper left corner there is a little icon. Click on it and select Properties. You can set the size and position on the screen on the Layout tab, and the font size on the font tab.

My XP's 14 inch monitor is 1280 pixels wide and 1024 pixels high. On the Layout tab, I have Screen Buffer Size and Window Size set to 80 width, and 25 height. On my monitor, this translates to 1050 pixels wide, and 575 pixels high. I have Window Position set to 210 left and 80 top, but this is just my preference.

I run a Lucida Console font, size 24. This works great for my needs, and old eyes.

Harry

Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm

As I recall, XP still allowed older DOS programs to run full screen, however, Win7 does not. So it's more a limitation of the OS (inside the VM) that you are running.

For all my older DOS programs I've turned to Dosbox. I create a unique DosBox config for each application, so there is only one application running in any instance of Dosbox. The only drawback is that it takes upward of a minute for my regular desktop to return after exiting Dosbox. It's a bit of a pain, but then again I'm running a 64-bit system and one of the only ways for me to old DOS programs running is by using DosBox.

Have you considered a VM that just runs DOS? It's easy to say but trying to actually install it might be a problem.

Asa Jay

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:17 pm

asajay wrote:
Have you considered a VM that just runs DOS? It's easy to say but trying to actually install it might be a problem.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay,

Is Dosbox an example of that kind of program? Can you print from the DOS program (i.e., MYM)? I use DOSPRN (http://www.dosprn.com/) to print from MYM in XP. Works seamlessly.

I'm thinking I may just stay with XP and disconnect it from the internet. . . . :?

Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 pm

DosBox is kind of like it's own little VM yes. I'm not certain about printing though; I've not played with enough to know.

You can read up on it here:
http://www.dosbox.com/

Though I don't see much on printing.

Staying with something you know is probably a lot better. I imagine your wish to upgrade is based on XP going end of support. In my case, I have one computer at home with removable hard drives. I have several hard drives set up with older operating systems on them and I just don't connect to the internet with them anymore. That's essentially what you'd be doing with your XP VM.

I think that would probably be better than trying to install and configure Dosbox anyway.
Asa Jay

Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:42 am

Within the last few months I have added an HP Windows 8 (updated to 8.1) 64-bit computer to our "stable" of computers. It is really fast and perky. I have DOSBox installed, with parameters in the DOSBox startup file so that MYM comes up quickly and also runs very perky.

In this mode, MYM can also run fullscreen (Alt-Enter), make all its native sounds, display graphs (F9), and so forth. However my primary MYM machine is one of my Toshiba laptops running Windows 7 32-bit. Another issue is that on the Win8 machine with DOSBox, I haven't been successful getting MYM to run under MYMBAK as when running on the other computer.

If anyone is interested, I will copy and paste the DOSBox parameters to make it start and run well.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I still run MYM V12 primarily on a Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 32-bit natively, i.e. without DOS Box. I run my own modified version of MYMBAK which invokes MYM, and I suggest that everyone run MYMBAK (Terry Baker's or mine) which checks for MYM already running and takes a backup at the end -- if so set up.

I also have an HP tower running Windows 8.1 64-bit and another Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 64-bit. When traveling (like now) I like the Win 10 machine because it is lighter and thinner and has a longer-running battery, but dislike having to run MYMBAK/MYM with DOSBox.

Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:49 pm

Bernie157 wrote:
I also have an HP tower running Windows 8.1 64-bit and another Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 64-bit. When traveling (like now) I like the Win 10 machine because it is lighter and thinner and has a longer-running battery, but dislike having to run MYMBAK/MYM with DOSBox.

Bernie:

I still run MYM on my trusty XP---in fact, that is about all I use the XP for these days.

Did you happen to see this note on the Starkey site:
https://www.starkeysoftware.com/MYM/computerstick.html

The Intel stick incorporates a 32 bit version of Windows 10, so you can run MYM without any hassle. You can find out more about it here:
https://www.cnet.com/products/intel-compute-stick-2016/

Harry

Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2