View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 8:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
installation on XP looks promising 

Post installation on XP looks promising
The Windows 98SE HP Pavilion (3.5G HD) where version 9 currently resides has served well. Test run of installation on XP seems as though it will succeed; however, I chose ESC because I'm wondering about upgrade procedure to (eventually) v12.

Not finding PM or eM here in the forum, decided to post before proceeding. The is the point at which I backed out of full installation:

Quote:
Command Prompt - A:install
Managing Your Money Installation

We've located a copy ofManaging Your Money on your hard disk drive in a directory called C:\MYM.

To continue, please select from the following F-keys to indicate your choice.

F1 - To Install Managing Your Money <MYM> for the first time.
F2 - To Upgrade from a prior version of MYM.
F3 - To Reinstall specific program or data files.
F4 - To Convert data from a prior version.

I've been researching the CompuServe forum and your other listed resources ... have proof of ownership of v9 via book, and await your "challenge" question/s.

TIA,
Beth

Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:55 pm

Post Re: installation on XP looks promising
Sorry, didn't see your post until today. Been kinda busy. :)

You post didn't quite state what you were after. MYM survives just fine on XP as long as you don't run more then one instance. Details on that are in the XP forum.

If you are upgrading, it's pretty straightforward. Luckily MYM was a good old fashioned DOS program. So do the following:

- Backup your current MYM directory, the whole thing, just do a copy of the C:\MYM directory to some other place, like C:\MYMBACKUP or even an external device like a thumb drive.
- Once you have the backup, run the installer and choose option F2.
- Once finished fire it up and see how it looks. If something is not right, you are safe in the fact you made a backup of your prior version and all it takes to get it back is to copy it back.

If you have trouble, just post. :)
Asa Jay

Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi, Asa Jay ~

I successfully put the install files from the floppies onto a CD, and successfully installed MYM9 on XP. I've made a note-to-self to check and be sure I put the filelock (available from http://www.starkeysoftware.com/MYM/mymlock.html) in the directory to prevent double-open instances, which is why the MYM9 got frazzled on the Win98.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the filelock script provided at starkeysoftware.com has to be copied directly into notepad, not MS Word or any other word processing software. I could be wrong, but at any rate the Notepad caveat is not mentioned at the link above.

Thank you for the instruct re: upgrade. Will give it a go.

reprieve

Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:14 pm

That script is very close to what I created and is a great way to keep MYM from opening twice.

The reason you don't want to use Wordpad or Word is they put extra characters in the saved file that you can't see, but the Operating System will understand and won't make sense.

Use Notepad or some other plain text editor and you'll be okay.

:)
Asa Jay

Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi,
I've been using MYM DOS since 1987. Currently using Ver9 under DOS 6.20. When I first installed Version 9, the copy security required a look at Disk #1 to verify a legal copy was being run. For a few weeks it would always request Disk #1. Then every few days, then once every week, then every few weeks, once a month. It's been a LONG time now. Years?

I'm worried the security routine will pop up once again requesting Disk #1. I still have Disk #1 somewhere, but the house seems to have swallowed it.

Has anyone been required to insert MYM Disk #1 in drive A lately... or anytime this decade? Was there a time limit on this security function?
-RLS

Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:11 pm

There are just SO MANY changes, improvements, and enhancements between V9 and V12. You'd be amazed. V12 is very much like a Windows application in that it allows mouse use and other things.

I am not sure but I don't know that you can migrate directly from V9 to V12. Does V9 use DB or DBS data files?

I have MYM V12 install files which I can send (and have sent to others). I'm sure that there are no licensing issues since MECA went defunct so many years ago. After installing V12 -- or if any readers already have V12 with its original files -- I would recommend getting V12 update files and MYMBAK package from the File Section of the Money & Investing Forum (Compuserve forums).

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:46 pm

Without going home and looking, I'm quite sure MYMDos Version 9 save as .dbs files. I'm still using ver 9 and appreciate your info regarding the features ver 12 would add if I upgrade! I'd also like to know the procedure for converting v9 data to v12...will v12 simply import and convert v9? Thanks again for the info. RLS

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:19 pm

If V9 has DBS files, then it probably was the first version to go that route and is more or less compatible with V12. Each upgrade of MYM version has required migrating the data files. I can only guess that migration will work fine from V9 to V12 without any intermediate version of MYM needed.

Migration of the data is part of the installation of the new version. When I went to V12 (in 1996?), I migrated each year's data going back to 1985 as well as the current data at the time.

I can't exact say what all the differences would be between V9 and V12. There is a file in the Files section of the compuserve forum about changes from V11 to V12.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm still running MYMDosV9 on an antique DOS6.20 system. It's about time to make a 2 step upgrade with my active data remaining safely on the old DOS system until the upgrade is complete.

Step 1:
From Reading the above Forum replies, I think I can install MYMDos V9 directly on my XP system. Just put in the V9 Install floppy and use XP Windows Explorer to locate and run the install program. When it opens and runs ok, I should be able to copy my "current" folder .dbs files to the XP system. Then copy years 1987 thru 2016 data to the XP system. If I understand the forum replies, MYMDosV9 should run on XP without DOSBOX or other utils?

Step 2:
Once V9 is up and running on XP, I should run Install.exe from the MYMDosV12 CD Mike Starkey sent me.
Do I run this from the XP windows explorer
... or by going to start menu, running cmd.com (Dos Prompt)
then locating Install.exe on the CD.?

Step 3: ??
I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions!
eg should I be upgrading to my Windows 7 (32 bit?) system instead of XP?

Thanks for the hints from other MYM users!
RLS

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:01 am

MYM12 should also run without any issues on a Windows 7 32-bit system. When you get to a 64-bit system it becomes tricky and will require something like DOSbox or Virtualbox. Windows XP went end of support four years ago and I wouldn't bother with it, unless it's a machine you won't hook to the internet and just happen to have lying around.

The critical thing is to install the special batch file so it only runs one instance of MYM. With XP or 7 or 10, in the Windowed environment, it's possible to run two or more instances of MYM at the same time, but it WILL cause corruption of the MYM database, so you don't want that to happen. Details on that are found in other postings.

Good luck,
Asa Jay

Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]